Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'm back!

The last three months I gave myself permission to not blog, and not try and keep up in the internet world. It was actually quite refreshing, but I'm back and ready to update you on our lives again. So what have we been up too, oh you mean besides chasing after a one year old, unpacking, organizing and doing those mundane, but necessary house projects, yup not much else. Yet, our heads have finally come up for air and fun house projects are finally getting done again.

So where did I leave off, oh yes, the electrical. When we bought the house our plan was to finish the fireplace and paint everything before we moved in, well if you have ever remodeled anything you know nothing ever goes to plan and that is exactly what happened. What we thought were some minor electrical issues turned into MAJOR electrical issues. We are talking could have burned down our house issues and had to completely re-wire issues. So Brendan (and our parents) spent over two weeks fixing the previous owners lovely electrical work (supposedly he is a contractor, scary!) that I still don't completely understand. That said the last few days before the move were crazy trying to get the fireplace installed and dry walled around so it was safe for Levi. And a HUGE thank you to family members for helping and babysitting! Because of them we were able to at least paint the bedrooms before we had new carpet put in. Phew, just thinking back on it makes my blood pressure rise.

So here is what the fireplace looked like when we moved in....

And just so you remember how far it has come, the before picture...

And here it is now...

What!? We haven't done much since the move!? You do noticed I painted the wall a lovely shade of gray, right! Well, its actually very close to being finished, Brendan has been working really hard on the mantle which is close to being done. We are mostly waiting on the stone guys to get the granite and tile installed. Thankfully there isn't much more that we have to do. At least it will be working by winter!

So here we are, settled and comfortable in our new home. It's amazing how fast this place has felt like home to us. As far as our electrical issues, it isn't a safety hazard anymore thank goodness, but there are a lot of missing light fixtures and non-functioning outlets (the kitchen currently has two working outlets, not convenient). After finishing the fireplace, the electrical will be our next big project. I'm actually excited about it because I get to pick out a bunch of fun fixtures and design our lighting scheme. Brendan isn't so excited about it because it means crawling in the attic, but as the saying goes, "Those with the biggest muscles get to crawl in the attic". Well, at least that's what I say : )

So I'm back on the blog and plan to post on some of the smaller projects I have been working on, and of course, my favorite subject of conversation, Levi! We really are loving Atascadero and the hot weather (who would have thought!) And we have quickly adapted to the culture here...


Check back soon for more updates!

1 comment:

Carly said...

i love camo + wifebeater Levi more than words can describe! especially with that potbelly posture, LOL!