Friday, June 17, 2011

Healthy Muffin Recipe

I know, I know you are thinking enough with the healthy recipes. Here's how I figure it, unhealthy recipes are easy to find and pretty easy to determine if they taste good. Loads of butter and sugar, duh, yum. But a healthy, guilt free and tasty recipe is harder to come by and that's why I am sharing this with you. Muffins are a favorite breakfast food of mine and sometimes a delicious one from the local bakery can hit the spot. Yet, for everyday, I prefer something that has some health benefits, plus I would like to be able to give them to Levi. This recipe was a adapted from my fav zucchini bread recipe. After trying several versions, I have come up the following. REMEMBER this is good for you, so it isn't going to be the most delicious thing you have ever eaten, but I can promise you it does taste good.: )

Wet Ingredients:
3 eggs
1c applesauce (in place of oil...also adds some sweetness)
3tsp vanilla

Dry:
2c whole wheat flour (This definiltey gives it a different flavor, so you could do half wheat, half white or I use TJ's White Whole Wheat which is a little milder)
3/4c brown sugar*
1tsp baking soda
2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
3tsp cinnamon
1/2t nutmeg
1/2t ginger (Go crazy with the spices, they add a ton of flavor without the calories!)
 3T flax seed

3c of mashed or shredded fruits and veggies (I've used carrots, zucchini, bananas, pumpkin, berries...in different combos)
Optional: 1c nuts or raisins soaked in water beforehand

In two separate bowls beat together the wet ingredients and mix the dry, then mix them all together. Add the fruit. Drop into muffin tin (I use liners) and bake for approx 20 minutes at 350.

* As far as sugar goes there are a lot of alternatives. Brown sugar just happens to be my favorite, but there are also "healthy" sweeteners out there. There are also artificial sweetners and Stevia, but I absolutely hate the taste of them, that is just me though. I sometimes add pureed prunes (from the baby food aisle) for added sweetness. Soon I think I might attempt the recipe with no sugar, I'll let you know how that goes. Do you have a favorite sweetener for baking?

1 comment:

dooleynoted said...

I have never baked with any artificial sweeteners. I think I'm too afraid of messing up the entire recipe and throwing the whole thing out :(