Monday, May 9, 2011

House Tweaking

One of the home decor blogs I follow is called House Tweaking and it has been inspiring me in a many ways lately. First of all, don't you just love the name, "house tweaking". It reminds me that nobodies house is ever perfect, we are constantly changing to adapt to our needs, tastes or circumstances. I need that reminder in our house now as I can't do any major changes, and for our future house when it's a mess and I'm not sure what to do with certain spaces. For the past several months I have been itching to redecorate. But it isn't worth my time or money to paint or get new curtains or furniture since we don't know when (or where) we will move. Instead I have picked a few small spaces to "tweak" to more my liking and in the direction I would like the new house to go. I have found a few cheap items and I slowly started rearranging. Every few days I would move them around or add something else until I finally got it to my liking. What small or large spaces are you working on lately? Or what spaces do you want to change?

This is the dresser in our bedroom. I have had most of these silver frames for awhile, plus several other things on the dresser. I simplified, added a photo of Levi and found that white vase. I love black and white photos, and these photos represent the stages of our family. And yes, Rocco is pictured, he was our first baby after all! It just never looked quite right, until the other day I turned all the frames so they sat straight forward and not angled, it changed the whole look. And the mirror will eventually go away so its not so matchy matchy.

My side table. The silver tray was a wedding present and when I found that bird at Michaels for $3 dollars, I knew I wanted a stack of books on the tray. It makes me happy when I see the bird and the titles of the books inspire me. Now looking at this picture I really want to change the knobs on the dresser.


Also, there our two quotes from her blog that I keep repeating in my head. The first is from her, they our downsizing from a huge, new home to a small, major fixer and she sums up their decision with this awesome quote "We aren't looking for the house of our dreams rather the house that will allow us to live our dreams." Isn't that awesome, and it goes right along with a house we may (or may not) buy. When I think about my dream right now, the most prominent idea in my mind is family. My dream is my family, to spend as much time together. Therefore, having a house that doesn't strap us for time or money would help us live that dream. What are your dreams? What do you need to do to live them?

And lastly I will leave you with this: "If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" - anonymous

5 comments:

KYLE AND LISA said...

LOVE this!

our dream is so close to yours, we want to spend more time with family.

Amber McGaughey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber McGaughey said...

I love your tabletop vignette! Straight from a Pottery Barn catalog!

Trisha and Paul said...

Great tweaking! I got a bit inspired and tweaked a few spots myself. Thanks for the motivation!

Carly said...

love it! may need to add that blog to my list of blog subscriptions... around here i'm working on my back yard and have been having a blast with spraypaint and old furniture. pictures to come on my blog too :)