Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Leap of Faith

Every year our 8th grade takes the Chumash Challenge, which is a high ropes course and team and leadership building program that Cal Poly puts on. It is a great bonding and learning experience for our students. This year I was able to go with them and they all wanted me to take the "leap of faith". So, for my students, I climbed up 30 feet and stood on a 9" diameter telephone pole and then jumped off! Although you know you will be safe because of all the harnesses and ropes you are attached to, the whole time your body is saying "This canNOT be right" and revolts be shaking ,which then makes the pole shake, which then makes it harder to stand. But I did it and it was AWESOME!An interesting idea they had the kids discuss after doing several team challenges was, are you a thinker, a doer or a talker? Everyone fits into at least one of these categories depending on how you react to life. Do you react by wanting to step back and analyze the situation (thinker), do you automatically start discussing it (talker) or do you just jump in and go for it (doer). They taught that each of these types of people bring value to a group, but they also have weaknesses which can be compensated through other group members. I am definitley a thinker...what are you?

No comments: