Generally, I enjoy picking paint colors and since I follow a similar process each time, I am usually happy with my choices. Early in my painting career, I chose the exterior color of one of our rentals and even though it has since been repainted, people still call it the Smurf House. Yup, not a good paint choice! Since then I always bring paint chips into the space and use samples. Its amazing how different paint can look from room to room and even paint chip to actually paint. Anyways, on to the point of this post. I hated painting my bathroom! I had they hardest time picking a color for the smallest room in the house. I have narrowed down the problem to two things that I can't change right now, the crazy amount of slate tile and the always changing lighting. Colors just look weird. So on a whim I chose to paint the bathroom orange! Well, I can't really blame it on a whim since after the whole paint chip, sample and then mixing two samples and having them color match for the perfect orange, I still chose orange. And I knew as soon as I did it, bad move (see the already added paint swatch). Here it is in all its orange glory...

The color really isn't bad, I actually like it, I did create it myself after all. But its just too much with the tile. I felt like I was walking into a different house since the rest of the house is calming blues and grays. After deciding the orange had to go, it took forever to pick another color. I went with a gray green...which was my original idea, and I remembered why I moved away from green. Its a really hard color to work with. I went to so many different stores, and I have no idea how many green paint chips I looked at. I ended up going with Behr Pale Cucumber. Its more green than gray like the picture shows. Funny thing, after choosing it I found out my sister in law has the exact same color in her bathroom (enter married to twins joke here). Here is the new color.
Much better. I'm never going to love this bathroom, unless I can gut it : ). But I think after the cabinet gets painted and accessories added I will like it. What is your worst paint color story?
1 comment:
oooh, love it. the orange and i were not getting along when i visited... and you know i love green-grey-ish-ness! nice work.
Post a Comment